< ProgramsJump to navigation Jump to search
Date and location
- Date: 25 June 2019
- Location: Online
- Jean-Michel Lapointe (Chair)
- Amber Berson
- Benoit Rochon
- Caroline Savard
- Lëa-Kim Chateauneuf
- Ha-Loan Phan
- Laura French
- Marie D. Martel
- Michael David Miller
- Stacy Allison-Cassin
- Jean-Philippe Béland (consultant)
- APG 2019: Since last meeting, there was a reimbursement to Benoit Rochon for a total amount of $794.19 including $584.62 for general activities and $37.15 for indigenous activities (the rest being for administrative expenses). As such, the APG budget is now 70% spent for general activities and 95% spent for indigenous activities.
- Rapid Grant for multimedia equipment for Manawan: Benoit Rochon talked with Thérèse Ottawa. More to follow.
- Review of activities that happened since last meeting
- Acfas Conference in Gatineau on 28 May 2019: There was a presentation titled "Discovery: the first indigenous Wikimedia platform in North America" presented by Karine Gentelet, Thérèse Ottawa et Jeannette Coocoo. Anthony Dubé and Jean-Philippe Béland were also present and participated during the question period.
- Toronto History Edit-a-thon in Toronto on 1st June 2019: This edit-a-thon was held at the Toronto Public Library. We have learnt about this event because the organizers added it to the page of the Toronto WikiClub. We do not have more information.
- Wikipedia Dance Project Edit-a-thon in Toronto on 2 June 2019: This edit-a-thon was held at Canada's National Ballet School. We have learnt about this event because the organizers added it to the page of the Toronto WikiClub. We do not have more information.
- Mardi c'est Wiki at Montreal on 4 June 2019: Monthly activity held at the Grande Bibliothèque. This was the last session before summertime. Mardi c'est Wiki activities will resume in September.
- WikiPhotography Conference with Jacques Nadeau at Montreal on 6 June 2019: Details to come later during this meeting.
- Wikidata Training Day: Semantic Web in libraries at Montreal on 7 June 2019: Details to come later during this meeting.
- Wiki Meetup at Vancouver on 9 June 2019: An informal meeting of Wikimedians was organised in a coffee shop. We learnt about this event through the Wikimedia Cascadia mailing list.
- Wikidata Edit-a-thon during Atla 2019 in Vancouver on 13 June 2019: A training session followed by an edit-a-thon have been organized during the Atla Conference. This edit-a-thon focused on how to add and edit scientific articles and books in Wikidata.
- Art+Feminism Wikipedia Edit-a-thon in Toronto on 18 June 2019: An edit-a-thon has been organized as part of the Art+Feminism Campaign.
- Workshop at the Cinémathèque québécoise in Montreal on 19 June 2019: Regular monthly activity. This was the last session before summertime. The activities will resume in August.
- Women in Engineering Wikipedia Edit-a-thon in Ottawa on 23 June 2019: An edit-a-thon has been organized in partnership between the Ingenium Museum and Engineers Canada as part of the Women in Engineering Day. Two Wikipedians from Ottawa helped the organizers.
- Wikipedia Workshop on the 50th anniversary of the Rioux Report on 16 May 2019: The activity went well. The duration of 1h30 was too short according to Jean-Michel Lapointe.
- 1lib1ref (Spring edition): The Spring edition was quiet. Lëa-Kim Chateauneuf mentioned that two editions per year too closed to each other dilute the interest and that May is not an ideal time. The format used in January with a little competition between the institutions cannot really be repeated twice a year. She proposed to have only one big event per year and the possibility to keep track on the contributions of librarians throughout the year either by using the hashtag or with another approach. She will talk about it with the responsible people at the Foundation.
- WikiPhotograhy Conference with Jacques Nadeau at the Plateau-Mont-Royal Library on 6 June 2019: The event was both a failure and a success. There were not a lot of participants, half of them were already Wikipedians from long date or the other half curious people. Only two persons created a wiki account. Jacques Nadeau accepted to be a judge for Wiki Loves Earth in Canada.
- Uses of Wikidata in library at the ETS Library on 7 June 2019: The event was a success. Between 20 and 25 participants. Funds from the Bureau de coopération interuniversitaire for the coffee break. Simon Villeneuve was very good to give an introduction to SPARQL.
- Wiki Loves Earth: The contest is going well and last from 1st June until 30 June. We have received almost 700 pictures until now and approximately 70% of them are real pictures of a national park. Jean-Philippe Béland take care as a volunteer to sort them and add categories on Wikimedia Commons. Benoit Rochon will take care to set up the tool for the jury and to coordinate the judges.
- UQAM's 50th Anniversary on Autumn 2019: The proposed dates are as follows: Friday 20 September a round table to launch the activities, Friday 27 September a photo scavenger hunt and uploading to Wikimedia Commons with Lëa-Kim Chateauneuf, Friday 1st November a Wikipedia contribution day on the history of UQAM, and end of January 2020 (date to be confirmed) a multilingual Wikipedia contribution day on the history of UQAM.
- 100th Anniversary of Quebec National Archives in 2020: Benoit Rochon will meet with the archives director and the new archivist in charge of the wiki projects at BAnQ Vieux-Montréal on 3 July.
- GLAM-Wiki Summit 2020: WMCA wants to propose to Library and Archives Canaca that there will be only one summit including all parties, that is to say to gather together the institutions and the wiki projects in the same summit.
- Rendez-vous d'histoire de Québec: A Wikipedia contribution day on 14 August 2019 organized by the Fondation Lionel-Groulx.
- Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec (BAnQ): In Montreal, the projects are still on-going. We will know more on 3 July. The cultural calendar is being prepared. In Quebec City, the activities are still on-going.
- Library and Archives Canada (LAC): Nothing new to report. Jean-Philippe Béland will write to Jessica Ouvrard to try to find out who is in charge of the GLAM Summit 2020.
- Concordia Wikipedian in Residence: Plan for the year is to hold an informal Q&A about the Wikipedian in Residence and Wikipedia, 4 training days throughout the year open to anybody at the university, and 3 round-table discussions, 1st about Wikipedia and translations, 2nd about data and 3rd about bias on Wikimedia projects.
Follow up of questions from last meeting
- Honorariums: The Committee decided to remove this point for now awaiting that WMCA has a bigger budget.
- Project to import data from Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC) in Wikimedia Commons: Miguel Tremblay asked for a deadline for his presentation to the federal government that was set on 1st July. Pierre Choffet understands perfectly what Miguel is expecting of him. Benoit Rochon will inquire to know the current status of the project.
- Calendar for the main page: A nice improvement. The users must add two code lines in their personal common.js pages to have access to the advanced features of the calendar. The users are invited to send their help requests to Jean-Philippe Béland or Benoit Rochon.
- Resignation of Marie D. Martel: Marie D. Martel sent her resignation from the Programs Committee by email. The Committee thanks Marie for all her contributions.
Discussions and announcements
- Digital Summer School in Haiti: Rency was in Montreal and met with local Wikipedians and a representative from BAnQ. The event was funded by Wikimedia France and Wikimedia Switzerland. The event will be held from 19 to 24 August 2019. Rency asked if somebody from Wikimedia Canada can go like last year.
- WikiConvention in Brussels: Benoit Rochon, Jean-Philippe Béland, Michael Miller, Ahmed Houamel and Thérèse Ottawa from Wikimedia Canada are going with a grant. Jean-Michel Lapointe is thinking to go at his own expenses, to be confirmed. Benoit Rochon is on the Program Committee and gave an overview of the process to the Committee.
- Saint Boniface: Jean-Michel Lapointe talked with a librarian from Saint Boniface that wants to start wiki activities in French in Autumn. More to follow.