From Wikimedia Canada
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Meeting information[edit]

Date and location[edit]

  • Date: 27 May 2019
  • Location: Online


  • Jean-Michel Lapointe (Chair)
  • Amber Berson
  • Benoit Rochon
  • Caroline Savard
  • Lëa-Kim Chateauneuf
  • Michael David Miller
  • Ha-Loan Phan
  • Laura French
  • Marie D. Martel
  • Stacy Allison-Cassin
  • Jean-Philippe Béland (consultant)



  • APG 2019: No change since last meeting. Approximatly 40% of the budget for the activities is spent.
  • Rapid Grant for multimedia equipment for Manawan: No change since last meeting. There is still $662 to spend before 31 July 2019. Benoit Rochon mentioned it to Thérèse Ottawa and will tell her again.

Recent activities[edit]

  • Wikipedia Workshop on the 50 years of the Rious Report: The activity was held on 16 May 2019. Jean-Michel Lapointe is absent at this moment of the meeting. Anne-Marie probably organized the event.
  • GLAM Summit in Montreal organized by LAC: The event was held on 13 May 2019. Participants noted that there were no mentions of the Wikimedia projects and a lot of participation from museums. A preliminary study from Oxford Economics was presented and will be published soon. Participants noted several critics about it, mainly about its methodology. The signature of the memorandum of understanding between WMCA and LAC was done during the Summit. The agreement is large on purpose to leave room for future projects. We heard good echos about it during the GLAM Summit in Toronto. Jessica Ouvrard is our main contact at LAC. Benoit Rochon noted that two summits (LAC and Toronto) in one year is perhaps too much. We regret that the two events were not coordinated.
  • GLAM Summit in Toronto: This event was held on 23 May 2019. We noted that the keynotes were very pertinent. Benoit Rochon gave a lengthy presentation about the Wikimedia projects, Wikimedia Canada, the GLAM projects, etc. There were approximately 65 participants, but they were all archivists and librarians. In general, the event went well. The returns were all positive and we are expecting nice results. We have the intent to organize another GLAM Summit next year. We wish to merge it with the GLAM Summit organized by LAC for a unique combined GLAM Summit each year.
  1. 1lib1ref: The campaign started on 15 May and lasts until 15 June 2019. For this edition, there is no contest like the previous edition, but we encourage people to add the hashtag #1lib1ref.

Upcoming activities[edit]

  • Wikiphotography Conference with Jacques Nadeau at Plateau-Mont-Royal Library: This event will be held on 16 June 2019. It will be announced in the newsletter of the Plateau and the social medias of the neighbourhood. This event is free.
  • Uses of Wikidata in library at the ETS Library: This event will be held on 7 June 2019 from 9am to 5pm. Everything is already organized and the event is full. A lot of librarians from different universities as well as university students are registered. The beginning of the event will be published online.
  • 50th Anniversary of the UQAM: This event will be held at the Autumn 2019. Everything still needs to be organized. Jean-Michel Lapointe receveived a grant from the Wikimedia Foundation of $1,700 for this series of events. The LabCMO pays a person to help organize it. More to follow.

fr=50e anniversaire de l'UQAM : Cet événement se tiendra à l'automne 2019. Tout est encore à organiser. Jean-Michel Lapointe a reçu une subvention de la fondation Wikimédia de 1 700 $ pour cette série d'événements. Le LabCMO paie une personne pour aider à l'organiser. Plus à suivre.

  • 100th Anniversary of the National Archives of Quebec in 2020: The ten archives centers during the whole year wish to host a wiki activity. Benoit Rochon is planning to maybe request a rapid grant from the Wikimedia Foundation to finance this event. We are looking for volunteers. The format of the event is still to be determined.


  • Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec (BAnQ): Benoit Rochon will talk with the director of BAnQ Vieux-Montréal about better promoting activities in the centers in the different regions. We regret that the website of BAnQ is too much focused only on Montreal.
  • Library and Archives Canada (LAC): The memorandum of understanding has been signed. The best is to come.
  • Concordia Wikipedian in Residence: Amber Berson had to quit the meeting. She started her mandate as Wikipedian in Residence at Concordia for 8h per week.


  • NIL.

Follow up of questions from last meeting[edit]

  • Honorariums: The discussion is moved to the next meeting.
  • Call for projects in education - Intergovernmental cooperation in francophonie between Manitoba and Quebec: This project is dead for this year. We continue to explore for next year.
  • Project to import data from Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC) in Wikimedia Commons: Benoit Rochon will meet Pierre Choffet and Miguel Tremblay. The project will be in two phases: execution and follow up. More details to follow at the next meeting.

New business[edit]

Discussions and announcements[edit]