Meetings/2017-05-09

From Wikimedia Canada
Jump to: navigation, search
Recent meetings
General meetings 2017 AGM
Board meetings January 6February 19March 8March 27April 18May 9May 30June 20July 11July 25August 1August 16
Committee meetings
← full list of meetings


WMCA Board Meeting - 9 May 2017[edit]

Meeting Information[edit]

  • Location: Google Hangout
  • Date: 9 May 2017
  • Time: 18:00 EDT

Participants[edit]

  1. Benoit Rochon (President)
  2. David Fourney (Treasurer)
  3. Antoine Beaubien
  4. Jeffery Nichols (Secretary)
  5. James Heilman
Absent
  1. Jean-Philippe Béland (Vice President)
  2. Ha-Loan Phan
  3. Philipe-Olivier Daniel
  4. Patrick Paul

Minutes[edit]

  • Meeting opened at: 18:00 EDT
  • Meeting chaired by: Jeffery Nichols

Standing items[edit]

Membership update[edit]

  • Secretary

37 Members

Budget update & Financial report[edit]

  • Treasurer

$11,673.37 bank. $345.68 papal. $500 between sites. $312 outstanding cheques (Nat). Domain renewal paid this morning. $3k bank funds not committed to any project.

Old business[edit]

Financial report[edit]

  • Treasurer

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project/Rapid/WM_CA/In_person_meeting_2017/Report (draft) Travel (flights / driving mileage / public transit in Montreal / home airport transfers): C$1505.75 Meals (for two days, meeting refreshments, per diems): C$1166.15 Hotel: C$286.78

Deficit: C$354.68

Overrun mostly from travel b/c prices lower than when we made budget, and we paid for some meals than budgeted for.

Going forward issues:

  • David working on taxes.
  • Ongoing problem accessing list of transaction records from Paypal. David is working on it.
  • APG grant: Part of it will go to some bookkeeping costs (we need more complicated bookkeeping). Also for Wikimania.
  • David needs to understand Wikimania budget better. Benoit will talk to Ellie about funding to get people to Montreal.
  • Cost for AGM.

AGM[edit]

Note: We need to make sure members who aren’t attending Wikimania can get to AGM, and a way of checking membership at the door. Rent a room on/near Wikimania site? Or can we get members who aren’t attending into the hotel? We need a date and time; probably Saturday 5:00 (reccomend they arrive earlier, meeting starts at 5:15 sharp).

Strategic Plan[edit]

  • JP

(tabled)

Committees/Working Groups[edit]

  • JP Béland

(tabled)

Membership Policy[edit]

  • JP Béland
  • Secretary

(https://ca.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Membership_Policy) (tabled)

Wikimania[edit]

  • Antoine Beaubien & Benoit Rochon

Antoine met with WMF.

We were supposed to do closing party and Windsor Station, but it’s expensive (C$12,000). Alternate proposal: chalet on the mountain. Costs C$7,000 and holds 700. This would need tents and transportation. Other options ICE science, some others.

In negotiation with city (Smart City project, Tourism Montreal) and PR firm.

Working on sponsorship before summer. Asking WMF to give us a list of corporations who have already been asked.

Organizers of source-a-thon no longer involved in wikimania; WMF tentatively canceled source-a-thon. Can we find someone new who would be willing to organize it? Jeff will ask Wikisource community, let Antoine know.

Bénévoles d’affaires[edit]

(tabled)

Reimbursement forms[edit]

(tabled)

New business[edit]

David attending event about Canada 150 music on wikimedia with edit-a-thon.

Discussion points and announcements[edit]

WMF Board election open now! https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:SecurePoll/vote/341

Can we contact local media frims around country to spread awareness of Wikimania? A PR firm is talking to national media. We should work to portray ourselves to the media as professionals.

Closing[edit]

  • David motions to close the meeting. Benoit seconds. Meeting closed at 19:40 (EDT).
  • Next meeting: Week of 28 May 2017