Projects/Aboriginal communities outreach/Grant request draft
- Legal name of organization or individual requesting this grant
- Wikimedia Canada
- Grant contact name
- Grant contact username or email
- Grant contact title (position)
- Project lead name
- JP Béland
- Project lead username or email
- Project lead title (position), if any
- Project Coordinator/Leader?
- Full project name
- Aboriginal Communities Outreach/Initial phase with TBC
- Amount requested in USD or local currency (USD will be assumed if no other currency is specified)
- Provisional target start date
- Provisional completion date
- Travel to TBC - TBC $
- Per diem meals for TBC days - TBC $
- Lodging - TBC $
As part of the initial phase of the Projects/Aboriginal communities outreach, first contact is a key step for mission success. The role's of the face-to-face meeting is to establish a working collaboration between the Aboriginal institution and Wikimedia Canada. It also serves the purpose of presenting Wikimedia projects to the Aboriginal institution, thus increasing awareness about the possibility to use Wikimedia projects in Aboriginal languages which is a goal in itself aside of the main goal. See Projects/Aboriginal communities outreach for the complete strategy plan.
This particular grant encompasses the initial meeting with TBC. The overall goal will be to develop the Wikipedia in TBC language. However, to achieve that, TBC needs to be aware of Wikipedia possibilities, and Wikimedia Canada needs to see on the ground how TBC is operating to advise them appropriately. A discussion by e-mails already occurred with TBC, and the potential to set up a concrete project exists.
Project scope and list of activities
- Initial physical meeting between TBC and Wikimedia Canada
- Presentation of Wikimedia projects (mainly Wikipedia and Incubator)
- Discussion on how to use Wikimedia projects within the goals and intents of TBC
- Drafting a plan between Wikimedia Canada and TBC on how to carry-on with the development of the project (which will be finalize through e-mails later on)
Fit to strategy
- Breaking new ground
- Increasing outreach to TBC language's group
- Increasing content
- Increasing potential of success of the overall strategy to outreach Aboriginal communities in Canada
- Increasing recognition of Wikimedia projects as a tool in endangered languages' revitalization
Wikimedia Canada will benefit from this initiative since it will increase its recognition as a serious actor in revitalization of Aboriginal languages in Canada. It will also increase Wikimedia Canada's visibility.
Measures of success
- New contributors on the Wikipedia in TBC language
- New content on the Wikipedia in TBC language
- Project in place for a more concrete collaboration between TBC and Wikimedia Canada
- Increase in the awareness of the existence of Wikimedia projects in Aboriginal languages
- Increase in the awareness of the possibility to use Wikimedia projects in language's revitalization programs
Team members (optional)
- User:Amqui for this initial phase.