From Wikimedia Canada
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Meeting information[edit]

Date and location[edit]

  • Date: 20 January 2019
  • Location: Online


  • Jean-François Pilon (Chair of the committee)
  • Benoit Rochon
  • Caroline Savard
  • Ha-Loan Phan
  • Marie D. Martel
  • Jean-Michel Lapointe
  • Amber Berson
  • Lëa-Kim Chateauneuf
  • Michael David Miller
  • Jean-Philippe Béland (consultant)



  • APG 2018 H2: The final report will be submitted to the Wikimedia Foundation between now and the end of the month. There is still one grant waiting to be finalized (Wikipetcia:Nanto masinatcikan 2018-2019). Jean-Philippe Béland will talk to Benoit Rochon about it.
  • APG 2019: 34% of the budget for the indigenous projects have been already pre-approved for the workshop organized by Stacy Allison-Cassin in Toronto. The rest of the budget is still untouched.
  • Rapid Grant for multimedia equipment for Manawan: No change since last meeting. There is still funds for transport into the territory. The intent is to ask for an extension to the Wikimedia Foundation.
  • Rapid Grant for photography equipment of Ottawa-Gatineau: The grant request has been submitted. The final report has to be submitted to the Wikimedia Foundation before the end of the month. The request has been approved by two Board members.

Recent activities[edit]

  • 1lib1ref: The campaign has been launched last Tuesday with the participation of Benoit Rochon in class at the Université de Montréal and in the afternoon at the libraries of the Université de Montréal. The participants noted that the dashboard doesn't allow to have specific metrics on the number of references added. There is a proposition to mention this to the Wikimedia Foundation.
  • Musée national des beaux-arts de Québec (MNBAQ): Caroline Savard mentioned that the MNBAQ is joining the wiki activities by giving worskhops by themselves and by being involved massively by having artists' biographies redirecting directly to Wikipedia. This is a very interesting partnership for the Quebec City area.
  • WikiConference North America 2018: In November, Jean-Michel Lapointe participated in the WikiConference North America in Ohio. He still doesn't have returns from people who were supposed to write him back. He met with a Cuban Wikimedian that would like to host a WikiConference North America in Cuba and would like to involve Wikimedia Canada since American Wikimedians couldn't because of political tensions. Jean-Michel will follow up with him. He also received feedback from English-speaking Canadians that Wikimedia Canada is too much concentrated in Quebec. He is still waiting for the reimbursement of his expenses.

Upcoming activities[edit]

  • International Francophone Contribution Month: Benoit Rochon is organizing it. There is a workshop planned at the EBSI during the Contribution Month.
  • WikiCheese at the Modercai-Richler Library: Lëa-Kim Chateauneuf is in contact with the organizers. The committee is requesting that the list of chosen cheeses to be amended since the listed cheeses have already been photographed. Jean-Philippe Béland will send an email to Lëa-Kim. The request can be pre-approved by two Board members.
  • 50th Anniversary of UQAM: Jean-Michel Lapointe will organize some wiki activities.
  • Wikimedia projects in libraries: Jean-Michel Lapointe will be hosting three workshops. The first on 15 February at UQAM about Wikipedia. The second on 25 March at UdeM about Wikimedia Commons. The third is still to be planned but will be in June about Wikidata. He is asking for the possibility to use the banners of Wikimedia Canada. The committee agreed, to be coordinated with Benoit Rochon. He wants to publicized Wikimedia Canada has a partner of the events. The committee agreed. The events will be streamed online via Zoom and Facebook events will be created.
  • Exhibition about Conrad Poirier at the UdeM: On Thursday 24th, some activities will be hosted at the UdeM.
  • Training to UQAM teachers: Jean-Michel Lapointe will give the training on 20 February.
  • Uploading of archive photographs from the Société d'histoire du Lac-Saint-Jean: Thanks to the help of Simon Villeneuve, more than 500 photographs from the Société d'histoire du Lac-Saint-Jean have been uploaded to Wikimedia Commons.


  • Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec (BAnQ): In Montreal, the Cartography Wednesdays are not happening anymore. The management of BAnQ doesn't see the relation with their mission. In Quebec City, the regular wiki workshops are still happening.
  • Library and Archives Canada (LAC): No change since last meeting. An institutional memorandum of understanding between WMCA and LAC is still being reviewed by the management of LAC.
  • Musée national des beaux-arts de Québec (MNBAQ): There is a partnership being developed, especially thanks to Antoine Letarte. This partnership can lead to other partnerships.


  • Wikidata Club Canada: There is a proposition from Antoine Beaubien to create a Wikidata Club Canada. The committee agreed to let him start this group. Jean-Michel Lapointe will talk with him to make a connection with his Wikidata activity planned for June.
  • Alma WikiClub: The director of Alma Library would like to create a WikiClub. She is even ready to pay someone, but nobody has been identified so far.

Follow up of questions from last meeting[edit]


New business[edit]