Grant/Wikimedia/Quebec Programs 2012
- Legal name of chapter
- Grant contact name
- Grant contact user-name or e-mail
- Grant contact title (position)
VP of Wikimedia Canada
- Project lead name
- Project lead user-name or e-mail
- Project lead title (position), if any
French projects coordinator
- Full project name
- Amount requested (in USD)
- Provisional target start date
February 1, 2012
- Provisional completion date
December 31, 2012
- International Scientific Conference on ICT and Education (2 days) - $650
- Transportation : $300
- Per diem meals : $150
- Lodging: $200
- Forum mondial de la langue française (5 days) - $2250
- Transportation : $350
- Per diem meals : $1250
- Lodging: $650
- Contribution days (twice a year) - $425
- Transportation : $350
- Lunch : $75.00
- Wiki Loves Monuments 2012 Canada - $2,000
- Prizes total amount : $2,000
- Wikipédia prend Québec - $2,950
- Transportation : $300
- Per diem meals: $150
- Hall + security guard 8 hours - $500
- Prizes total amount: $2,000
- QRpedia projects (GLAM Collaboration) - $250
- Material for labels: $150
- Transportation $100
Total amount requested : $8600 USD (8525 CAD + Fees)
This grant will cover the programs offered by Wikimedia Canada in the province of Quebec for the 2012 program year. These events will be organized and executed by local volunteers with the assistance of Wikimedia Canada.
- To recruit new volunteers and promote development of content in the province of Quebec, Canada for the Wikimedia movement.
- Promote awareness of the Wikimedia Canada chapter and its commitment to support French language culture.
- Present Wikimedia Canada as an accessible chapter to Quebec residents.
- Gain access to Canadian classrooms by recruiting leaders in the education community.
Wikimedia Canada has established a group of volunteers for coordinating French language engagement in Canada. We refer to this group as the Comité Québec which meets monthly by Skype and infrequently in person. Comité Québec was established by a chapter board member who attends all of the meetings and presents their proposals to the Wikimedia Canada board of directors. The group meets monthly and discusses event ideas and outreach activities. Comité Québec has prepared a program plan and budget for 2012 which is covered by this grant application.
This program plan covers the following 6 events in 2012:
International Scientific Conference on ICT and Education (May 6 @ Montreal)
- Conference brings together scientists, professionals, and other concerned, where researchers from a wide range of fields will present their findings on how ICT, emerging technologies, and Web 2.0 have contributed and can contribute to education.
Wikipédia prend Québec (16 June @ Quebec city)
- Photographic event modeled on the photo scavenger hunt in Montreal(summer 2011). The photographic hunts "Wikipedia Takes City" are very popular.
- is an international gathering of artisans, designers and promoters of the French language. From 2 to 6 July 2012, Wikimedia Canada in collaboration with Wikimedia France, will be on hand to promote sister projects of the Wikimedia Foundation, in part "Le nouvel univers numérique" (The new digital world).
- Planned activities: workshops and public presentations.
Wiki Loves Monuments 2012 Canada (1-30 September @ Canada)
- is a photographic event in the world that encourages participants to upload their best photos of historic sites in Canada. From September 1 to 30 2012, more than 30 countries will attend the event, including Canada.
Journées contributives (or The Contribution days (2 events, date & venue TDB))
- are workshops where the core group of Quebec Committee invites web surfers to contributory workshops focused on an article. On February 18, 2012 at Laval University, the first contributory day gathered 10 surfers to improve the article w:fr:Jean Talon: 128 revisions by 12 users, 9 scans of very high quality media, and transcription of the first canadian census in Wikisource.
QRpedia (Date TBD / Montreal)
- Montreal Botanical Garden / Insectarium / Planetarium / Biosphère.
Fit to strategy
The following outcomes align with the Wikimedia Foundation's strategic plan:
- Increase participation in Wikimedia projects by engaging the global francophone community
- Increase reach by partnering with external organizations to make Wikimedia projects more accessible
- Improve quality through strategic partnerships with groups that share our common goals
- Encourage innovation through open discussion with attendees of these events
Measure of Success
- Feedback from the audience about the presentations.
- Contact with more francophone community participants.
- Progress towards a program for movement content in the classroom.
- Accumulation of volunteers for francophone activities.
- Increased movement GLAM content.
- Progress towards implementing QRPedia in Montreal
- Wikimedia foundation promotional shirts, hats, mugs, stickers, etc for event participants