Wikimedia Canada receives charity status!
Since last summer, Wikimedia Canada is recognized as a registered charity allowing us to give tax-deductible receipts when you make a donation.
Where does your donation go?
Your donation goes to all of Wikimedia Canada's projects across the country to promote the creation and distribution of free educational material. Our past projects include lectures to teach people how to write for Wikipedia and photography contests to create photos of Canadian landmarks under a free licence. In the future, we plan to do more projects like those, as well as partnering with museums and galleries to increase access to their collections, encouraging the creation of more free content about Canada, translating Wikipedia articles into Canada's aboriginal and immigrant languages, creating new technologies to help the Wikimedia Foundation's online projects, and supporting the initiatives of local groups of editors. For more about our projects, see our projects
What is the minimum amount to give to receive a tax-deductible receipt?
- For now, there is no minimum amount for donations, but we recommend at least a minimal annual donation of $5.
- Our integrated donations management system adds the global amount given throughout the year and will issue a receipt at the beginning of the following year.
What is the difference between giving to the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) and giving directly to Wikimedia Canada?
- When you make a donation to the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) based in the United States, your donation is used for the projects of the Wikimedia Foundation and you can receive a tax-deductible receipt only if you are American or if you have assets in the United States. You also contribute to the maintenance of the servers. On the other side, if you make a donation to Wikimedia Canada, you contribute directly to the local projects and you will receive a Canadian tax-deductible receipt.
How the donations will be used?
- Wikimedia Canada has a very high level of transparency, both in terms of financial statements and governance. You can read online all our annual activity reports. For any question, you can also contact us at infowikimedia.ca. It will be a pleasure to answer promptly.
How can I make sure that Wikimedia Canada is really recognized as a registered charity?
- The Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA) has an online database that allows to search all registered charities. You can search on this page or go directly to the page showing the information for Wikimedia Canada.