Meetings/2011-07-13

From Wikimedia Canada
Jump to: navigation, search
Province [1] Time zone
British Columbia 15:00 PDT
Alberta 16:00 MDT
Saskatchewan 16:00 CST
Manitoba 17:00 CDT
Ontario, Quebec 18:00 EDT
New Brunswick, Nova Scotia,
Prince Edward Island
19:00 ADT
Newfoundland and Labrador 19:30 NDT
Previous
Next

A board meeting is planned on July 13, 2011 at 18:00 EDT (Ottawa time). The meeting will take place electronically via Skype. All directors will receive an email to their Wikimedia Canada email account with instructions on how to connect to the meeting. You will be also able to read read the minutes in the days following the meeting. James Heilman will send out the invites for the Webex meeting and will chair the meeting.

Attendees[edit]

Only members of the board of directors may attend and those invited to give input. If you can not use Skype, please email James Heilman with your phone number to arrange a call.

  • James Heilman
  • Jeffery Nichols
  • Ray Saintonge
  • Benoit Rochon

Agenda[edit]

  • Declaration of Conflict of Interest.
  • James Heilman - Current projects (10 min)
  • Benoit Rochon - Business cards, stationary, etc. (5 min)
  • James Heilman - Membership drive (5 min)
  • James Heilman - Update on charity status / chapters agreements / web address agreement
  • Benoit Rochon - Scavenger hunt vs membership, WM France grant (5 min)
  • James Heilman - Schedule of next 2 meetings (5 min)

Minutes[edit]

  • Date: 2011 July 13, 18:00 EDT
  • Location: Teleconference
  • In attendance:
    • Board members:
      1. James Heilman
      2. Jeffery Nichols
      3. Bonoit Rochon
      4. Ray Saintonge
    • Observers:
      • None

Text of minutes[edit]

Approval of minutes[edit]

  • James Heilman motioned to approve the minutes of the meeting of 16 March 2011.
    • Seconded by Ray Saintonge.
    • Unanimous agreement.
    • Motion passed.

Declaration of conflicts of interest[edit]

  • None

Report on finance[edit]

  • The bank account has $5,902.
  • The PayPal account has $235.85.

Projects in development[edit]

  • James reported that EGCpedia, a Dutch image host that will lift their noncommercial rule so that it will be compatible with Wikimedia.
  • James reported that CRIP Database, a store of information about diseases that will use Wikimedia as a source of metadata.
  • James reported that the scholarship for medical students at UBC will go to the university Senate in September or October. James will write an article about the use of Wikipedia in medicine.
  • Benoit will continue to work with Liam Wyatt on GLAM when she returns.
  • Benoit has a large number of Franco-Ontarian books that are likely in the public domain and could be freely distributed.
  • Benoit reported that Wikimedia France will help advertise Wikimedia Canada events.
  • There was a discussion about whether Wikimedia Canada should promote the use of on-article attribution on projects.
  • Ray will travel to the Wikimania conference in Haifa, Israel.

Wikipedia Takes Montreal[edit]

  • Advertising of Wikipedia Takes Montreal has begun.
  • Quebec's membership base is focused on Quebec City, so the next Quebec event should be there.

Update on charity status / Chapters agreement / Web address agreement[edit]

  • James reported that Jit hopes to have the three agreements done by Monday. The chapters agreement should be signed first after a review. Once that is done, Jit hopes to submit the charity status agreement. The web address agreement should be signed before Ray leaves for the conference in Haifa.

Membership drive[edit]

  • James and Benoit suggested that we develop our image and moto.
  • Jeffery reported that membership is at 25.
  • A discussion ensued about whether membership should primarily be a source of funding or an outreach to volunteers. Consensus was that there are some people who will be more interested in donating or participating, but there is no need to have two kinds of members. It was agreed that we should encourage members to participate more.
  • New members are upset that they have not been contacted.
  • Benoit recommended that we move forward on a membership letter. A discussion ensued about whether a physical letter was necessary. Consensus said that it was a cost-effective way to promote a feeling of community.
  • ACTION: Jeffery Nichols will send letters and confirmation emails.
  • Jeffery recommended that we eventually do a membership drive in addition after the application process is re-done.

Schedule of next meeting[edit]

  • The next meeting is scheduled for 17 August 2011 at 18:00 EDT.

Verification[edit]

  • James called the meeting to a close at 19:00 EDT.
  • Minutes verified by Jeffery Nichols, secretary.

References[edit]

  1. Please note that the provinces in this table are for guidance only, since some have two time zones (e.g., The Magdalen Islands and the south-eastern part of British Columbia are not in the same time zone as their provinces). Please refer to your time zone instead of your province.